Sunday, January 10, 2010

Countdown to Vancouver..

Lately, I've been thinking about how different my life would be right now if I would have went to the school that was my first choice. I'd be in Gainesville, Fla., right now. Although the University of Florida is a great school (and sometimes when I'm trampling through several inches of snow I think about how nice it'd be to be in Florida..), turning UF down and choosing to come to DePaul turned out to be the right choice. I'm going to the Winter Olympics in Vancouver in less than a month because of it.

I went to a meeting at my professor's office to talk about helping him out with an Olympics Symposium the university was hosting, and he asked me if I wanted to work with the U.S. Olympic Committee during their media summit for the 2010 Games.

Talk about being in the right place at the right time.

It turned out to be a great experience helping the USOC with the USA Daily newsletter. Because of our work there, we were invited to do the same thing in Vancouver for the Olympics! We will be doing a lot more work, but I know it's going to be a great experience. My goal is to work in sports communication/information. Seeing everything come together after all of the hard work that goes into organizing these events is so rewarding. I hope that this experience is a step in the right direction. Maybe even to London in 2012? Never know..

No comments: